Here you’ll find some books I have heard to be good ones to read. I hope I’ll read most of them on a near future. If you have any other suggestion, just drop me a line on alvarovictor at gmail.com.
- Chris Crawford on Interactive Storytelling, by Chris Crawford [PAUSED]
- Chris Crawford on Game Design, by Chris Crawford [PAUSED]
- A Theory of Fun for Game Design, by Raph Koster
- Designing Virtual Worlds, by Richard Bartle
- Hero With A Thousand Faces, by Joseph Campbell
- The Writer’s Journey, by Christopher Vogler
- Dungeons and Desktops, by Matt Barton
- Challenges for Game Designers, by Brenda Brathwaite and Ian Schreiber [READING!]
- Game Design Workshop: Designing, Prototyping, and Playtesting Games, by Tracy Fullerton, Christopher Swain and Steven Hoffman.
- Flow: Psychology of Optimal Experience, by Mihaly Csikszentmihalyi
- Homo Ludens, by Johan Huizinga
- Understanding Comics, by Scott McCloud
Here goes a link to Ian Schrieber’s reviews for textbooks on game design.
And here is a link to Malcom Ryan’s The Secret Books of Game Design.